Poedit’s latest version, v1.6 is released recently. Apart from the free version, there’s also a new Pro version of the app available which comes with some exciting new features, most notably, the option to translate WordPress themes and plugins.
Poedit 1.6 features a brand new UI, improved language handling, completely new translation memory implementation and better support for plural forms expressions.
Translating Themes and Plugins Using Poedit Pro
The best part about the Poedit Pro version is that it comes with built-in support for translating WordPress themes and plugins. Things just couldn’t get easier then this. In just a few minutes, you can create a new translation for plugin and theme. Without further ado, here’s how it works:
- Download, install and upgrade to Poedit Pro by entering your license key. Close the app once and then reopen it.
- From the main screen, click on “Translate WordPress theme or plugin.”
- In the next step, choose the exact folder of your theme or plugin.
- Poedit will automatically extract all the translatable strings from your plugin or theme and then it will display them on the screen.
- Now, choose the language that you want to translate it to, and then translate every string to your language. Once translated, save your .PO file to the languages folder of your theme or plugin.
Just make sure that your plugin or theme uses translatable strings such as _(“My admin dashboard”), rather than just plain “My admin dashboard”.
So that’s it. This is by far the most easiest way ever to translate your plugin and theme.
Poedit Pro costs $19.99 for a license and it comes with personal support from the Poedit developer. It also shows statistics such as total translated words, not translated words, errors, and more. Of course, there’s also the free version of Poedit that will need some extra effort for translation.